09 May Creamy Chorizo Chicken Soup
We served this delicious soup at the annual Upper Rogue event :Roam the Rogue. WOW what a crowd please and so easy to cook. Spicy sausage and tender chicken make a tasty pair in this creamy soup. Packed with tons of flavor and so simple to make! Searing is the trick for tender chicken. Be sure to sprinkle parmesan on top before serving, it definitely adds a little sumthin’ sumthin’!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- black pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound chorizo sausage, casings removed
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt to taste
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream, for topping
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over high heat, then add the butter. Stir in chicken and season with Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, and pepper. Cook the chicken breasts until no longer pink in the center, then stir in the garlic. Place chicken onto a plate and set aside.
- Cook the chorizo until it becomes a dark golden brown, breaking up the large pieces, using the same pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the chicken stock, tomatoes, and reserved chicken with juices. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in heavy cream and simmer for another 5 minutes. Season with salt. Serve soup garnished with Monterey Jack cheese, Parmesan cheese, and a dollop of sour cream.